Thank you for sharing this excitement with us as we lead the way to a greener, more responsible planet!
At 855-RILAWNS, it has always been our goal to provide sustainable, low maintenance, and environmentally friendly landscapes to our customers in RI.
As part of this goal, starting in 2015, we have made the decision to completely phase out synthetic fertilizers and pesticides from all of our fertilizing programs.
Our current program option is one simple organic program involving an annual lawn aeration, over seeding, and compost topdressing. We are proud to be the only company in the state with such a unique, innovative program.
More detailed information regarding our decision to switch is available here.
Charlestown Recommended Landscaper
The town of Charlestown has problems with Nitrogen in their groundwater which has prompted them to start a program with local landscapers. Each year, 855RILAWNS attends their meetings and training to continue to work with the town to improve our organic fertilizing program and lessen our effects on the environment. More information here.
Our comprehensive, 100% organic & natural fertilizing program includes:
• Corn gluten (natural crabgrass pre-emergent).
• Compost with 16 micro nutrients and 17 amino acids not present in chemical fertilizers.
• Accelerates the breakdown of pesticide residue & adds organic matter.
• Limestone to maintain optimal soil pH.
• Core aeration to reduce thatch, soil compaction, and improve the flow of water and nutrients to the root zone. (See details below)
• Power seeding to naturally thicken lawn and discourage weeds. Not to be confused with “over seeding” – slice seeding is a much more labor and equipment extensive process but provides far superior results.
• An application of Milky spore disease, a bacteria ingested by root feeders of turf that contains a crystalline protein for lawn insect control.
Why Is Lawn Core Aeration so important to lawn health?
Core aeration is simply one of the best things you can do for your lawn. It is included with our organic fertilizing program or may be purchased separately.
5 benefits to lawn aeration:
1) Reduces thatch build-up – A heavy thatch layer promotes disease and insects.
2) Reduces soil compaction – Compacted clay soils inhibit root growth and water penetration.
3) Stimulates new root growth – Root systems will grow back thicker, stronger, and deeper.
4) Creates more efficient watering and fertilizing – Water, air, and fertilizer can easily penetrate the soil.
5) Essential in keeping root systems strong and healthy -A healthy root system creates thicker turf, increases heat and drought tolerance, reduces weed and crabgrass growth, and decreases disease and insect damage.
Benefits of Compost on your Lawn
2. Increases the biological and chemical soil composition because it carries many beneficial microorganisms not found in chemical fertilizers. Increases earthworm populations and overall amount of life wherever put down.
3. Helps the lawn withstand extremes of weather by increasing the organic matter, drainage and aeration of soil.
4. Increases the lawn’s ability to intake and hold water, minimizing the need for watering.
5. Will not burn the lawn or cause excessive superficial, lush growth.
6. Increases soil organic matter content that results in higher cation exchange capacity. This makes soil nutrients more available to plants and reduces leaching loss.
7. Creates a healthier lawn that is less susceptible to fungus and insect problems.
8. Has a pleasant, earth-like smell
9. Does not acidify soil like many chemical fertilizers, minimizing the use of limestone needed on your property. Compost has a very close to neutral pH.
10. Gives you personal satisfaction knowing that you are doing what is right for the environment and working in harmony with nature.
Unlike most lawn companies, soil testing is performed on your property when needed. This scientific analysis allows us to make sure we are applying exactly what your lawn needs- not too little, nor too much.